Monday, December 18, 2006

Back home...


I returned from Nan and am back in Chiang Mai. Yes, I have footage of the 1148 but I'm not happy with what I have and want to go back to get more.

My son Robert is coming to visit me in a week and we have plans to do some motorcycle touring. Robert hasn't ridden in three years - since he broke his C7 vertebrae in a rollover car accident but he's up for a ride now and ride we will. I think we'll do a little dirt bike riding the first day he's here and then head out on the road. It's a little daunting riding here the first time out. Not only do you ride on the left side of the road, the lane markers as well as the traffic laws are merely suggestions.

bikeymikey is now a married man - I was there and have proof. Dr G and I went with the intent of being Wedding Crashers, but gave up quickly. The prettiest girl there was the bride, Gif. Yes, there were other single, available women but they were not up to our standards. I asked Gif if her village had pretty girls and she said "yes, but they get married young" - 16-17 years old. Gif explained that the girls often feel pressure to marry early because the mothers need money. When a Thai lady marries, it brings money to the mother. I've heard varying amounts from different sources. The amount depends on the girls perceived value (in the eyes of the Mother) as well as the resources that are available from the grooms family. I don't know how much the sinsodt was for Gif and don't really care.

The Horizons Unlimited project needed some attention today as well as my stinky clothes. I didn't get much accomplished but I feel that by the time Robert arrives in Bangkok that all will be OK. Oh yeah, Alan called and talked for 107 minutes, the cell phone doesn't lie. Alan's sister has been diagnosed with cancer and will most likely die in the next few months. Sad to hear that and I hope she doesn't suffer. Alan's calls are rarely less than one hour, this was was extreme.

No comments: